Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Risk

College can be very risky if a vigilant eye is not kept on the future.  There is a huge investment that comes with going to college.  Not only are you risking thousands of dollars on tuition, books, and housing, but also four (usually?) years of time.  For me, this would only be worth it if I came out with much better chances of a attaining a job where I could be successful.  A degree with low placement rates or one that contains subjects not interesting to me would be a waste of time, as I could not be successful.   I’ve always been interested in consulting, and from talking to various professionals in the field I found that majoring in Statistics and Economics would benefit me when looking for a job in this field.  By choosing a major suited to my career goals, I have reduced risk.
            Extra curricular activities often will improve students chances of receiving a job, as it shows they are involved on campus.  Having a leadership role in these organizations can also be very beneficial.  The job market for consultants is pretty competitive, and it helps to be as involved as possible.  I have joined three organizations on campus.  Freshman year I joined a fraternity, which has helped greatly in expanding my network.  Frequently Alum will contact the fraternity to make the current members aware of job openings or career fair appearances.  With these opportunities, I have increased my chances of getting a job and therefore reduced risk.  The other organization is Illinois Business Consulting.  This group handles real consulting projects for companies.   Although I haven’t participated in projects yet, I will before I graduate.  With this kind of experience, I will be a much better candidate for a position at a consulting firm.  Also, with the competitive admissions process, a lot of very skilled people are part of the organization, and I will have the opportunity to work with and learn from them.  This reduces my risk of not receiving a job as well. 
            Another decision I would like to touch on is behavior.  Having a degree from the University of Illinois can be very valuable, and doing something to jeopardize that is very risky behavior.  Students who behave inappropriately (fighting, mistreating other people, being arrested for illegal activity) risk suspension, expulsion, and/or legal consequences.  All of these can be a step backward in terms of career growth.  By not engaging in this type of behavior, I’ve greatly improved my chances of graduating, which I would definitely need to do to get a good job. 
            Lastly, summer jobs can be very important to future employers as well.  Gaining experience during college in the field you would like to have a career in can make you stand out to recruiters.  Most people I know are on the internship hunt by junior year, and some start earlier.  I was lucky to receive an internship at a consulting firm this previous summer, which gave me some real experience in the business world and working on a project.   During my interviews this semester, I have been able to highlight my experiences this summer frequently.  So not only does this boost my resume, but it also makes the interview process easier.  Because of this, risk of not receiving a good job decreases.  

No comments:

Post a Comment